Our trip north was thought to be peaceful with following seas, an extra two weeks of cruising with no deadlines. Weather was blustery with storms every other day and beam seas. We encountered 2 1/2 meter seas in Queen Charlotte Sound but made it to safe anchorage after a long day of tacking into Fitz Hugh Sound and beyond to Shearwater. Moorage was $60/night so we dropped our 500# anchor in 30 feet of water.


Continuing up the coast we observed whales, porpoise and beautiful scenery as shown above. We arrived in Ketchikan with strong NW-erlies which prevented our continuation north to Petersburg. Fine with us…..perfect 90 degree weather so we hike about and waited until winds calmed down and we could enter Clarence Straits–only 90 miles to Petersburg. Here Martina and Marion show off the Bavarian flag on the bridge…..


Finally, we arrived in Petersburg–our future home–after a 13 hour 9 knot flood tide and ran the “narrows” against the ebb at 4.6 knots. It was a pleasure to arrive back to “home” in beautiful Petersburg with the Devils Thumb glowing in the afternoon sun. Stay tuned……we begin clinic this week in Yakutat.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email